Sunday, November 9, 2008

Tulsa World Rant

Yesterday while on our outing mentioned in my previous post Ashley and I inadvertently ran into 51st (technically Skelly?) east Peoria heading south (and ultimately to Sheridan). Of course this is one way, so we had to head west to get past 66/44 and back east. Approaching Peoria we saw some emergency vehicles (police, ambulance, maybe fire). As we got closer we noticed a plumbing van blocking the leftmost lane, pointed in the wrong direction. There were a number of people standing around watching the events and as we passed we saw a man laying face down in front of the van with his hands cuffed behind his back. To say the least our interests were picqued, so we made plans to watch the evening news.

Later that evening I turned on KJRH (my local news of choice). Nothing. I then resigned myself to waiting for the Tulsa World in the morning. Morning came, but alas nothing there either.

For over a year now I've subscribed to the Tulsa World (first the Friday, Saturday, Sunday offering, but more recently the daily subscription). In general I find that the Tulsa World does it's job as far as keeping me up to date about the goings on of the world goes, but it definitely has its faults. For one this is the second time I've pasted by a curious event and found nothing in paper the next day. Why they don't a police report section I have no clue. Their local news on the whole could be a lot better. I can get my national and world news any number of places. If anything a local paper should pride itself in its local coverage.

As for the paper all in all, they recently announced that they would be combining sections and asking writers to shorten their articles. They also upped the daily price to 75 cents and Sunday price to $2. Compare that to prices of papers in my home state of Arkansas and it's ridiculous. Despite all the complaints, take a look at the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and it's easy to see which is the better paper. Sure newspapers are declining across the country and as a 25-year-old why aren't I getting my news from blogs? Give me good local news and maybe I would. Until then I guess I'm stuck with the Tulsa World.

No comments: